Monday, September 29, 2008

City Review: Atlanta, GA

I have traveled to Atlanta at least twice, and I have good memories of the experience. My first trip through Georgia was along my cross-country drive from Houston, TX to Washington DC. I was starting grad school in Jan 2003 at The University of Maryland-College Park, and I packed all of my stuff in my car for the trip. I decided to avoid driving through any snowy regions of the Appalachian mountains by driving up the Eastern coast. This plan worked out well, and the roads were easily navigable by my 1995 Ford Mustang.



This peach water tower was one of the cool road-side sights along my drive. I found some parking near the Atlanta International Hostel and checked in for the night. [check back for my hostel review]



It was already late in the evening, and I decided to seek out "The Varsity", a famous eatery for Georgia Tech students. The servers will always ask "What'll ya have? What'll ya have?" Here is a video with a little of the history:



The next morning I got an early start for the rest of my trip to DC.

I came back to Atlanta about a year later to meet with some colleagues at Georgia Tech, and I stayed in the same hostel for a few nights. I was able to take the CNN tour, and go see an Atlanta Braves game. The baseball tickets were less than $5 and hardly sold out, eventhough the team was #1 in their division.



Atlanta is well known for its history in the civil rights movement. A number of local tourist sites are a great opportunity for young people to learn about the nation's history.

No comments: